- gif2hdf - converts GIF image into HDF GR image.
- hdf24to8 - converts 24-bit raster images to hdf 8-bit images
- h4cc - compiles an HDF4 C program
- h4fc - compiles an HDF4 F90 program
- h4redeploy - Updates paths in h4cc/h4fc after the HDF4 pre-compiled binaries have been installed in a new location
- hdf2gif - converts HDF GR image into GIF image.
- hdf2jpeg - converts hdf raster images to jpeg images
- hdf8to24 - converts an 8-bit image into a 24-bit image
- hdfcomp - re-compresses an 8-bit raster hdf file
- hdfed - hdf file editor
- hdfls - lists information about an HDF file at a low level
- hdfimport - imports ASCII or binary data into HDF
- hdfpack - compacts an hdf file
- hdftopal - extracts a palette from an hdf file
- hdftor8 - extracts 8-bit raster images and palettes from an hdf file
- hdfunpac - unpacks an HDF file by exporting the scientific data elements (DFTAG_SD) to external object elements. This is a utility for external file handling for the parallel I/O interface on the CM5.
- hdiff - compares two HDF files and reports the differences
- hrepack - copies an HDF file to a new file with/without compression and/or chunking
- jpeg2hdf - converts jpeg images to hdf raster images
- ncdump - generates an ASCII representation of a netCDF file (for input to ncgen)
- ncgen - converts a CDL description of a netCDF file into an HDF file
- paltohdf - converts a raw palette to hdf
- r8tohdf - converts 8-bit raster images to hdf
- ristosds - converts a series of raster image hdf files into a single 3D sds hdf file.
- vmake - creates vsets
- vshow - dumps out vsets in an hdf file
HDF4 Tools by Category
HDF Java Products (including HDFView)
HDF-Java wrappers and a Java-based tool for browsing and editing HDF4 and HDF5 files.